Sunday, February 8, 2009

Culture Clash: First Impressions



What do these two pictures have in common ? It's the same location, the beautiful and historic Ginkakuji. I've never been to Japan before and the number and variety of vending machines astounded me. What struck me the most, however, was that such holy places like shrines and temples could allow such conviences into the premisis. In America, I can't even imagine a vending machine in a church. I've always put a distict line between convience and holiness. They don't have a cathedreal with a Mc Donalds drive thru attached to it. It sounds ridiculous, atleast to me. Yet such a beautiful place had a carnival of vending machines for the convience of tourist. I did find them convient though, I became member of the guilty party that keeps them in shrines and temples when i picked my green tea out of the machine.

3 comments:

  1. Please if you have the fotos, post a pic of a local eatery with the opposing one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unfortunately do not have a picture of the local eatery mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't church's have vending machines? I remember some instances where I was thristy and would have loved to buy a drink rather than wait for the wine at communion...

    And so why shouldn't shrines and temples have conveniences like vending machines?

    I like these two pictures - nice juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete